Today we’d like to introduce you to Jara Eisen.
So, before we jump into specific questions about the business, why don’t you give us some details about you and your story.
I always had a knack for finding cool Vintage clothing reworking it to create original one of a kind pieces. After resettling in Miami from NY it was time to turn my love for creating unique clothing into a business. While unpacking my daughter’s suitcase from the move, I pulled out a flannel shirt and old concert T-shirt, signed up for sewing classes and created my first SOJARA Vintage Rock Flannel. My friends loved my designs and encouraged me to participate in the school Bazaar. My shirts sold out immediately and I knew I was on to something special. I set-up my sewing machine in the garage and “SoJara Designs” was created.
Since that school bazaar five years ago, SOJARA has shown at Intermezzo NY, Project Women’s Vegas, Dallas Market, Coast Shows, Trendz and this summer in LA Brand Assembly. We have had successful PopUp Shops in SoHo, Wynwood and Lincoln Road, South Beach. Today we are carried in the trendiest boutiques across North America, South America and Europe and Online at SOJARA.COM.
We’re always bombarded by how great it is to pursue your passion, etc – but we’ve spoken with enough people to know that it’s not always easy. Overall, would you say things have been easy for you?
I’m a breast cancer survivor, and with my New York City toughness and resilience, I turned to music as an escape and motivation to win my fight. After this health crises, I realized how precious life is and to appreciate every moment. This experience was the origin of my SOJARA Inspire Line which consists of Flannels, white button-down shirts, t-shirts and Camo Jackets with inspirational messages on the back. Just a visual reminder to myself and others to stay positive every day.
We’d love to hear more about your business.
SOJARA gives a renewed life to worn-out denim, retired army jackets and tattered T-shirts by REWORKING them to create ORIGINAL one of kind pieces. My inspiration for SOJARA, is the personal desire to spread good vibes through positive messages and my love for Rock & Roll. I turned to music to help me with my fight against Breast Cancer and I decided to spread the good vibes to others who may be facing difficulties in their own lives. The concept of putting inspirational messages and Band Patches on flannel shirts came about because “there is nothing more cozy and cool than a broken in flannel shirt with a classic rock band on the back!” SOJARA has since expanded to a wide range of denim, bomber, blazers and army jackets. We are always changing and developing new looks but will forever stay loyal to our roots in RocknRoll because a Rock Flannel shirt is SOJARA.
Most proud of:
* SOJARA is the Originator of the Rock/Inspirational Flannel (many have since imitated)
* We are environmentally conscious, by up cycling and reworking discarded items, we are giving vintage clothing renewed life and keeping it out of landfills.
* That we support and give back to organizations we believe in like Breast Cancer Awareness/Research, Veterans, and The Homeless and LBGQT issues.
* I feel pride seeing social media posts of customers wearing a SOJARA one of a kind piece and loving it! Including celebrities like Love & Hip Hop Rasheeda, Versace Model Bennett Jonas, Real Housewives Lisa Rhinna, NeNe Leakes, Teresa Giudice, Porsha Williams, and Pop Artist Madison Beer.
* I’m most proud of the fact that I have the opportunity to be a role model for my two daughters. I’m an example that women are empowered to do anything they set their minds to. My girls got to experience firsthand how an idea that started out of the garage, with a lot of hard work, creativity, and determination can lead to a thriving business.
What were you like growing up?
Growing up in NYC I was immediately exposed to the fashion industry. My mother encouraged me to be independent, so Instead of following the trends like my friends, I wanted to be unique. I would mix and match different pieces of clothing to create something new. I spent many hours in thrift shops looking for cool vintage pieces. Whenever I would wear one of my creations my family and friends would say “That’s So Jara”, and that’s where I got the inspiration for the name of my clothing line. Later, I developed my craft while attending school at FIT and while in school I interned at DKNY as an assistant to the buyers. I also have a passion for Rock & Roll. I spent many weekends going to concerts and music continues to inspire me today. The Rock vibe is a consistent theme in my clothing line.
- Address: SOJARA @The Wynwood Shop
196 NW 24th Street
- Website: sojara.com
- Phone: 305 903-6440
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instagram: @sojara_
- Facebook: @sojara
- Twitter: @sojaradesigns