Today we’d like to introduce you to Amanda Evans.
Amanda, can you briefly walk us through your story – how you started and how you got to where you are today.
The idea for Tight Ship was born about 16 years ago when I was doing books for my friends’ businesses. I noticed how incredibly hard it was for my friends to keep up with the dreaded books, how long it took me to drive here and there, and how cumbersome they made it. After sitting many hours with my friend Jon’s fishing marketing company, I insisted on finding a way to provide this service efficiently to all of my friends. Technology has come a LONG way from where it was 16 years ago! I am now able to provide 100% virtual bookkeeping and provide a paperless document retention system that works for them. In July 2018, Tight Ship was born; providing Simple, Streamlined Bookkeeping.
Has it been a smooth road?
Smooth road, maybe. Hilly road, yes. Every adventure has its major ups and downs for sure! Before I even started Tight Ship, I was working as a Financial Analyst for a land development firm, so I had to convince my equity partner (my husband) of this wise business decision to leave my current job and start this company. So, I sat down and painstakingly did market research, business design, cash flow and budget projections for the next five years for my company. I truly believe doing this really set me on the right foot. I knew how many clients I had to maintain, what to charge, and how much I could spend on supporting software for my clients. I surpassed my 1-year goal in six months! But of course, there is always the challenge of growth. I got really busy really fast, so I had to figure out how to scale, how to hire the right employees, and exactly what support I needed. I knew from the beginning I needed to workflow every aspect of what I did, and what made it “Tight Ship’s way.” Because I documented everything, it made it easy to scale. So, if you are just starting out, or thinking of starting, write a business plan, and document everything once you start.
So let’s switch gears a bit and go into Tight Ship story. Tell us more about it.
Currently, Tight Ship specializes in the day-to-day management of small businesses’ books. We make it as easy as snapping a picture of your receipt, and we do the rest. We have created a system and workflow to make it really efficient and easy for the client. We realize every client’s business operates in a different way, and everyone on our team will do the research on any question we have before knee-jerking and asking the client a ton of questions that could negate the whole reason they outsourced, to begin with. I also try to poke a little of my math background into each of the client’s reports as we go, it really sets us apart and makes me proud to know we are allowing our clients time to concentrate on their own growth with a clear financial path.
Who do you look up to? How have they inspired you?
I have three women who have shaped me into the woman I am:
1) My mother. She is quite possibly one of the strongest women I know! Any time she is faced with an obstacle, she gracefully navigates it.
2) My twin sister, Alison. Our sense of competition has always built us to be better versions of ourselves.
3) My grandmother. Who taught me the importance of etiquette. How to make others feel valued. How to have sincere friendships. Lastly, how to enjoy the heck out of life.
- Monthly bookkeeping packages starting at $140.00/mo
- Payroll Services starting at $100.00/mo
- Budgeting and Business plan writing starting at $350.00
- Website: www.tightshipbookkeeping.com
- Phone: 727-434-1374
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/tightshipbookkeeping
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/tightshipbookkeeping
- Other: www.linkedin.com/company/tight-ship-llc
Alison Amick Photography